Last Saturday, in warm sunshine, 16 Old Boys, who had left the school between 1941 and 1966, enjoyed an excellent lunch at the Gallery Road pavilion with their guests. The lunch, prepared by the school’s chef, was preceded by a drinks reception of sherry, prosecco or a Kir Royale (the latter courtesy of Ann Revell) and followed by coffee. The party was 25 strong and included four staff members led by the Headmaster, Michael Roulston.
Michael Shrimpton (1941) read a special grace composed for these events by Sir Bryan Thwaites, former President of the Association. Peter Seldon (1964) chaired proceedings and led the contributors to the Memorial Wall Appeal which Michael Roulston described eloquently to the assembled company. Michael also spoke of the exciting plans to unveil the plaques during Armistice commemorations. He set out the great successes of the school last year, including academic (73 scholarships), sporting and musical, explained the major building project to upgrade facilities for the Lower School and the boys’ dining, his own plans for retirement at the end of this academic year and gave news of his successor. Finally, Michael thanked our Secretary, Richard Bernhard, who retires at Christmas.