Dulwich Prep London is an exciting place to work – with over 800 pupils, it is the largest boys’ prep school in the UK and is situated in one of the most beautiful parts of the world’s most cosmopolitan city. The school’s strength is its community: our staff, who are professional, passionate, and brilliantly collegiate (CPD is massively important); our pupils, who are inquisitive, challenging learners with a spring in their step, and our parents, who are hugely supportive, appreciative, and ambitious.
Having recently announced that in September 2025 we will open a senior school and extend our provision from 2 to 16 years, we are now excited to recruit a strategic, enabling, and compassionate individual to join our senior leadership team in the role of Head of Senior Section to join the school on 27 August 2024.
This is a rare opportunity. With a devotion to pastoral excellence and outstanding academic performance, your clarity of vision will enable you to realise the school’s ambitious expansion plans. The Head of Senior Section will be responsible for the organisation and subsequent development and growth of Years 9 to 11. Our provision will offer something different, with a smaller, more personalised, boutique feel to the senior educational environment. Starting with Year 9 and organically growing to our first cohort sitting their GCSEs in the summer of 2028, the successful candidate will lead, nurture, and inspire our boys, gathering ideas on how the senior section can develop to the day of their GCSE exam results.
We seek an individual excited by the opportunity to create and nurture a brand-new section of our well-established leading boys’ preparatory school and to facilitate the rollout of a varied GCSE programme that respects the individual choices of each pupil.
Key Knowledge Requirements
- Honours degree, excellent academic credentials and PGCE with QTS or equivalent qualification giving QTS.
- Strong awareness of business principles within an independent school context.
- Thorough appreciation of the advantages of a through-school, all-boys experience from Nursery to 16+.
- Genuine interest in how preparatory education feeds through to a Senior School environment and a recognition of the associated benefits for all pupils.
- Continuing professional development which indicates leadership aspirations.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience delivering the National Curriculum from Years 7 to 11.
- Familiarity with the daily running of a busy, high-performing school, as well as the accompanying legislative, compliance, and inspection frameworks.
Personal Competencies & Qualities
- Enthusiastic individual possessing drive, energy, and commitment, with a presence which engenders confidence and respect from pupils, parents, and colleagues.
- Alignment to the Values ethos of Dulwich Prep London, including celebrating equality, individuality, and difference, and incorporating each pupil’s personal choice into their learning.
- Ability to plan, prioritise and manage a varied workload. Focuses on what needs to be delivered: understands what is required and responds promptly.
- Team-focused with a collaborative and flexible approach. Willing to adapt and respond to priorities, sharing knowledge and promoting good practice among staff at all levels.
- Proactive, ‘can do’ attitude to all tasks. Cooperative, helpful, and accommodating with other team members and staff. Welcomes challenges and meets them with enthusiasm.
- Good communication and persuasion skills with an ability to remain calm under pressure, displaying agility and ownership of problems within your sphere of influence.
- Seeks out additional duties, uses own initiative and consistently strives to maintain a high standard of work.
Above all, we seek an individual who will embody the Dulwich Prep London Values, modelling them to ensure pupils demonstrate empathy and compassion within their educational journey and beyond.
Competitive Salary range of £68,000 to £82,425.
Closing Date: Wednesday 27 September, 12.00pm.
Interview Dates: Tuesday 3 and Wednesday 4 October 2023 (please note if shortlisted you will need to attend both days)
Start Date: Tuesday 27 August 2024
Applications for this role must be completed via application forms, along with a cover letter explaining your suitability for this role and a completed Equal Opportunities form, which should be sent to Tamsin Hutson, HR Manager, at email@example.com
We reserve the right to appoint at any time during the recruitment process.
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo checks with past employers, online checks, and an enhanced DBS check.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds. We believe in fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment where all employees are valued and respected for their unique perspectives and contributions. We encourage applicants from underrepresented groups to apply for this position.